A Beginner’s Method of Paraphrasing
To avoid plagiarizing we need to always include proper citation – giving credit to the rightful owner.
How to write a paraphrase
- Read the original passage to understand it fully
- Rewrite the passage in your own words
- First change verbs
- Next change grammar
- Use synonyms
- Check your paraphrase for accuracy with the original
- For APA in-text citation include author’s last name and date
- For MLA in-text citation include author’s last name and page number
Original: Many international students come to the United States each year to learn English.
First change the verbs: Many international students travel to the United States each year to study English.
Next change the grammar: Every year students travel to the United States from many different countries to study English.
Note: Students, countries, The United States and English are common knowledge, so they do not need to be changed.